The KTM DUKE 690, is KTM’s “entry level” beast and the KTM 690 R, is the slightly more powerful version of the base model. These are beefed up in the form of the KTM 990 Super Duke which is a bit of a bruiser. And at the end of the street-fighting, wheelie popping, supermoto food chain is the KTM Super Duke 990 R…..for which there are not enough superlatives in the world to describe, at least not within the realms of my whimsical Welsh mind.
KTM DUKE (SUPER DUKE 990), it’s a monstrous machine boasting a womping 999cc, four-stroke, 75-degree V-twin engine (best known as the LC8). Clearly, the KTM Duke is going to appeal mainly to those with a taste for the redonkulous and the styling maybe a little outrageous for most serious-biker-grown-ups (as if they even exist, but I won’t tell if you don’t) saying that, if you are going to have a midlife crisis, this is the way to do it.
However, it must be said that the KTM Duke is an authentic super-moto and if anybody is qualified to spawn the ultimate supermoto/streetfighter, KTM Motorcycles are boys to do it. With their Austrian roots set firmly in the world of motocross, the KTM Duke series is a natural and not so radical progression.
KTM DUKE 690 R ~ It’s a Brawny Ba*tard
Their main competitor in terms of both looks and performance, is perhaps the Ducati Hypermotard, which when you think about it, and as much as I LOVE it, has diddly-squat to do with the Ducati heritage.
- If you want a bike, which will make you look like a crazed motocross rider on steroids, buy a KTM DUKE.
- If you want to buy a bike which will make your mates green with envy, buy a KTM DUKE.
- If you want to upset your wife by blowing all your “dream holiday” savings, buy a KTM DUKE.
- If you want to learn how to wheelie, buy a KTM DUKE.
- If you want pure, brutish power, buy a KTM DUKE.
- If you want a quiet Sunday cruiser, DO NOT BUY A KTM DUKE!!!!!